There is no clarity yet on when the change will take effect or how long it will last.
Canada is ready to suspend the entry of international students, including from India, to Ontario, the most affected province fighting the third wave of the coronavirus.
According to the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE), an Ottawa-based education service provider, there were 5,30,540 international students in Canada in 2020, with the maximum coming from India (34%) followed by China (22%). .
Ontario has the maximum number of international students at 242,825 or 46%, he said.
At a press conference on Friday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the government was considering stopping the arrival of international students in Ontario, following a request by the premier of the province, Doug Ford , to fight against the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, the globalnews.ca reported.
“As Ontario is currently the only province to request it, we are happy to work more closely with them,” he said.
Mr. Trudeau said they would “contact their officials” to formalize the request.
However, there is still no clarity on when the change will take effect or how long it will last.
International students are currently exempt from Canada’s COVID-19 travel rules. All students must be able to provide a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows they have been approved for a permit, depending on CTV News.
Mr Ford also called on the federal government to ban non-essential travel after 36 cases of the B.1.617 variant, originally found in India, were identified in the province, according to the report.
Mr Trudeau reiterated his intention to work closely with the provinces to stem the spread of the coronavirus and warned against any type of non-essential travel.
“We are working with other provinces hard hit by this third wave to see how we can help,” he said.
Canada has so far reported 1.22 million cases of coronavirus, including 4.63,000 in Ontario. Of a total of 24,219 deaths, 8,050 have been reported in Ontario.