Shikhar Dhawan’s delicious 69 (not released) eclipsed Mayank Agarwal’s unbeaten 99 as the Delhi Capitals beat the Punjab Kings by seven wickets in an IPL match at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Sunday.
Agarwal, who was leading the team in the absence of regular skipper KL Rahul, effectively used the right stick in his only hand to bring Punjab Kings to 166 for six.
Meanwhile, the Delhi Capitals barely sweated in the chase, galloping to victory in 17.4 overs, their sixth win in eight games. The destructive opening duo of Prithvi Shaw (39 of 22) and Dhawan (69 of 47) gave another loose start to Delhi who ran to 63 without a loss in six overs. Steve Smith had 24 of 22 balls and Shimron Hetmyer (16 of 4) smashed two sixes and a four in the 18th to bring DC home with 14 in reserve.
For the Punjab Kings, it was their fifth loss in eight games, summing up their inconsistent journey so far. On the other hand, it was Delhi’s sixth victory in eight games. The team led by Rishabh Pant are now at the top of the points table.
Check out the points table after this clash:
1. Delhi Capitals – 12 points (played 8, won 6)
2. Chennai Super Kings – 10 points (played 7, won 5)
3. Royal Challengers Bangalore – 10 points (played 7, won 5)
4. Mumbai Indians – 8 points (played 7, won 4)
5. Rajasthan Royals – 6 points (played 7, won 3)
6. Punjab Kings – 6 points (played 8, won 3)
6. Kolkata Knight Riders – 4 points (played 7, won 2)
8. Sunrisers Hyderabad – 2 points (played 7, won 1)
(With PTI inputs)