Former Rashtriya Janata Dal MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, incarcerated in Tihar prison, died of COVID-19 at a city hospital on Saturday.

General Manager (Prisons) Sandeep Goel confirmed the development.

Prison officials said gangster-turned-politician Shahabuddin, who was serving a life sentence in Tihar, tested positive on April 20 and was admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, where he died for its treatment.

When his condition deteriorated two days ago, he was put on a ventilator in the hospital.

Mr. Goel told the news agency PTI “Information has been received from Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital in Delhi regarding the death of Mohd Shahabuddin. He was suffering from COVID-19 and was admitted to the DDU on April 20 ”.

Accused in more than three dozen cases, the quadruple RJD deputy from Siwan was a name that has long struck terror in the neighborhood. He was infamously known as “Sultan of Siwan” and “Saheb” among the local people. He had obtained a bond in several cases.

In 2016, he was released from Bhagalpur prison after serving 11 years in a double murder case of two young sons of local businessman Chandehshwar Prasad.

“The freedom of Mohd Shahabuddin is our death sentence,” Mr. Prasad said at the time. The Hindu after his release on bail.

However, Shahabuddin was sent to prison again, and later by order of the Supreme Court, transferred to Tihar Prison in Delhi in February 2018.

He was also charged in the murder case of a local scribe.

After being released from Bhagalpur prison in 2016, Shahabuddin made a controversial remark that Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was a “chief minister of circumstances”.

In his absence, his wife Hina Sahab challenged Siwan’s parliamentary polls but was beaten by BJP candidate Kavita Singh.

Shahabuddin has two daughters and a son.

In September 2020, his father Sheikh Mohammed Hasibullah, 90, died in the village of Pratapur in Siwan. Shahabuddin was reportedly denied parole to attend his father’s final rites.

(With contributions from Hemani Bhandari in New Delhi)