Other national teams have already expressed interest in replacing them at the tournament between June 11 and July 10.
Qatar and Australia will not take part in the next Copa America due to scheduling conflicts, the South American Football Confederation has said.
Other national teams have already expressed interest in replacing them at the tournament between June 11 and July 10, CONMEBOL spokesman Ariel Ramirez said. The Associated Press.
“There is a scheduling issue that has stopped Australia and Qatar, but we have already seen the interest of other national teams to play as guests in their place. We would like to have 12 teams,” he said. Ramirez said, adding that the Copa America will be played with 10 teams, as usual, if no replacement comes.
Australia must play in the World Cup qualifiers which have been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Qatar, host of the 2022 World Cup, will play in qualifying for the Asian Cup.
The Qatar Football Association confirmed on Tuesday that it will not participate in the South American tournament.
The Copa America, originally scheduled for last year and postponed due to the pandemic, will be hosted by Argentina and Colombia.
Australia was in Group A along with Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia. Qatar were in Group B along with Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Brazil and Peru.
Organizers want stadiums to be at least 30 percent full during the tournament, CONMEBOL development director Gonzalo Belloso told Argentine radio La Red. Fans should take COVID-19 tests first. Those who had been vaccinated would also be allowed, Belloso said.