YouTube said in a press release that the decision was made “after careful consideration” and without regard to Mr. Bolsonaro’s work or political ideology.

YouTube said on Wednesday it had removed videos from Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s channel for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus outbreak, becoming the latest tech giant to withdraw its pandemic claims.

YouTube said in a press release that the decision was made “after careful consideration” and without regard to Mr. Bolsonaro’s work or political ideology. The former far-right army captain, who oversaw the world’s second deadliest epidemic, has won widespread criticism for speaking out against blockages, touting unproven miracle cures, casting doubt on vaccines and avoid masks.

“Our rules do not allow content that states that hydroxychloroquine and / or ivermectin is effective in treating or preventing COVID-19, that states that there is a cure for the disease, or that the masks do not not work to prevent the spread of the virus, ”he said in a statement.

The president’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last year, Twitter and Facebook removed videos of Mr Bolsonaro for violating their terms of service after making statements that went against the recommendations of global public health experts.

Mr Bolsonaro’s YouTube channel hosts his weekly national addresses, which are folk music events in which he invites ministers, answers viewers’ questions and castigates his enemies.

During the discussions, which are also broadcast on his Facebook page, he regularly exposes his doubts about the severity of the virus, the insanity of home care measures and the wonders of unproven drugs like hydroxychloroquine.

.